Dear ASPE Community,
Despite the frenzy of catching up on office work load, post summer respite, we hope you all have time to enjoy this edition of ASPE News in which our members reflect on the Atlanta ASPE Conference. Whether or not you were able to attend the conference we hope the information and programming summaries found within will be informative.
Our conference committee chair, Cathy Smith, reports that this year about 30% of our over 300 conference attendees were new members, many of whom come from the nursing community.
Welcome to all new members!
Cathy also reports that the overwhelming majority of attendees were either satisfied or very satisfied with the conference on many levels, according to preliminary results of the post conference member survey. Respondents cite the programming, accommodations, food, service from hotel staff, and venue as exceeding expectations. The Monday night social held on hotel grounds and included in the cost of the conference was also highly rated. The conference committee will be working hard to incorporate survey suggestions for next year, such as an increase in more advanced educator and research workshops and easier access to poster and workshop abstracts.
It was difficult to choose which conference highlights to include in this “post – conference” edition, so stay tuned for October’s edition in which we will also share some award winning abstracts and materials that may inform your submissions for next year’s ASPE conference.
Valerie Fulmer, Editor- in-Chief, Publications Chair
- Barrows Presenter Jan-Joost Rethans Bridges the Question: Are We Ready To Embrace Sameness?– by Kris Slawinski
- Opening Plenary – Rachel H. Ellaway, Economies of Presence and Standardized Patient Education – by Petra Duncan
- ASPE 2013 Outstanding Educator of the Year, Cathy Smith Interview – by Anna Lank
- ASPE 2013 Poster Award Winners
- ASPE 2013 Emerging Leader, Amelia Wallace
- Results of an Informal SP Terminology Survey – by Kris Slawinski
- Powerful Surprise in Pre-Conference GTA/MUTA Workshop – by Sharon Youkey
- Reflections of an ASPE Conference Initiate- by Susan Abelson
- New ASPE Member Reflection – by Ben B. Blohowiak
- ASPE Conference 2013 Workshop Gem – by Bernie Miller
- Announcements – Webinars and Member Liaison Position Open